Thursday, September 24, 2009

"How do you do, I'm Dorothy, from Kansas".

For two wonderful hours I was transformed into a witch, a little girl and a Mom all at the same time. Seeing the Wizard of Oz at the theater was pure magic. My face was painted green, my licks were black & I had a wavy, long jet black wig. I was wicked (more so than usual ;) ). Sorry-no pics!!!!!!! (although people came up to me to take my picture-very nice). My dad forgot his camera & I am simply too cheap/poor to buy one.
I wasn't the only one dressed up. There were at least a half dozen 3-6 yr. old Dorothy's there. Ruby slippers and all. Precious.

Yesterday marked the 70th anniversary of this beloved film. Because of that, the theaters showed more than the movie. It showed us how the movie was made, how they first wanted Shirley Temple for the role of Dorothy but her voice just wasn't strong enough. Jack Hailey was the second choice for the Tin Man because the first man had a lung collapse from breathing in aluminum powder from the costume! The munchkins weren't children. They were "little people" and for some, it was the first time seeing others just like them.
Judy Garland was 17 yrs. old when she played Dorothy. She said her life was never the same after making this movie and neither was mine!
I have to add two things: It was so wonderful to see this movie with my dad because faithfully for 15 yrs. we watched it together. The theater was so packed (sold out in two) that we had to sit in two different rows so I sat in front of him with Haleigh. Above us was my Mom, dad, Jack & Jeff.
The other thing: Jack watched the entire movie, wasn't scared of the witch or the flying monkeys!!! That's my boy!! :)


4 comments:

Sharon said...

Aww!!! I wish I could have joined you guys.

I had no idea you were dressing up! Did you really?
Shame shame on no pictures. :(

I think Aidan would get scared of the movie at this point. The kid gets scared form some of the Scooby-Doo episodes (totally Pat's son, what can I say?)

It's sweet that you & Dad have this special thing together.
Whatever. "daddy's girl"...na na na na na na.

Erin said...

Sounds like so much fun!! All the theaters were sold out in minutes around here. I would have loved to see you dressed up.

Sue said...

I'll be dressing up again-there is a pic on my phone too. I'm dressing up for Tweetsie & Halloween. I'm a pretty scary witch though!!!

Aidan scared of Scooby Doo??? He is Pat's son! Although some can be creepy but it's Scooby!! I think Jack was ok because Jeff was holding him. He LOVED the scarecrow which is my favorite :)

Sharon said...

I'm a pretty scary witch though!!!

Mwhahahahaha!!!!!